Tuesday, July 13, 2010
High Sierra Camp

Larry: Had our first cup of coffee looking up at the sunlit ridge across the canyon. Lots to report - top of the list was last night's onslaught of mosquitoes! Pretty intense for a couple of hours plus our Cutter's doesn't seem to be working. We had a pleasant evening in spite of the bugs though. A large shrimp salad made camping a treat - a bed of lettuce, onions, celery and tomatoes, topped with boiled egg, avocado, shrimp and dressing. Our bedroom choice is outstanding. We have three layers of cushion and it was almost as good as any mattress we've slept in. Sleeping out under the stars is such a departure for most of us. We sleep in an enclosed room - maybe a window open but looking up at a blank ceiling. Under the stars is a much  more primitive style. Periodically, I awoke during the night to look up at a new star pattern and just laid there and felt entertained. I've decided that the night time fear of the dark, "what if" bear, etc. is mostly a state of mind. Once I placed my security with God, I slept soundly. I must admit though that the talk this morning of a camper hit a chord with me - sitting - mosquito free - having our coffee, sleeping without covering our heads, etc. I intend to work through my attachment to soft living.

Charlotte: 6:45 AM - clear and coolish - Our biggest challenge so far are the mosquitoes - clouds of them. They are not as bad as Sutter's By Pass or Milsap Bar but they are bad enough. I stayed fairly warm last night because until the middle of the night we had to sleep with our heads under the covers because of the mosquitoes. I awoke often but went back to sleep farly quickly. Our bed was pretty comfortable. The first sunlight hits the distant ridge about 6. That is when we climbed out of bed. We really want our own high country claims. The claim owner came by for another visit just before we hit the sack last night. He seems lonely. I have made it through my series of morning constitutions. With such a small camping table there are challenges but we are making it work. So far the mosquitoes have not been bad this morning - yet. We go in search of our fortune today. What can we do about the mosquitoes. I guess I spoke too soon. As the morning is warming up they are moving in looking for blood. There are a few clouds drifting over.

LATER - We have decided to set our tent up. It will keep the mosquitoes at bay tonight and if it rains we are ready! You know the mosquitoes are bad when you get multiple targets with each smack. Thank goodness we can actually get into the tent and get away from them.